The Green Team is busy all year long! Find out how you can become involved with this parent led group.
Green Team Information
The Kenwood School Garden is growing! We are looking for families to help with weeding, watering, tending and harvesting the garden this season - no gardening experience necessary!
Visit Signup Genius for more details and to signup! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0A4DAFA82BAAF94-kenwood3
Green Team Projects
The Green Team meets periodically throughout the year. They would be happy to have you join them!
Kenwood School Green Team Tree Planting Event! The Kenwood School Green Team is planting trees on May 8th, 2021 to offset paper used by our school, and green-up our community landscape! In partnership with Tree-Plenish (www.tree-plenish.org), our goal is to plant 50 trees. You can get involved by requesting a tree for your yard. Trees are free thanks to generous sponsorship from the Kenwood Neighborhood Organization There are volunteer opportunities too - more details to come. Visit https://www.tree-plenishevents.org/kenwood for details, and to request your FREE tree. If you know of community organizations that may be interested in a tree for their spaces please share this with them as well.
1. Kenwood School Garden: Helping Children Grow Since 2010. The Green Team coordinates the beautiful school garden on the south side of the building. We work with volunteers to get kids in the garden planting, weeding, harvesting and tasting. In 2018-2019 every classroom at Kenwood participated in the garden!
2. Stone Poem Raingarden: Art, Poetry, Storm Water Mitigation garden comprised of many beautiful native plants. This is a lovely spot for students to explore, relax and reflect outdoors. Volunteers mulch, weed and maintain this garden on the south side of the playground.
3. Kenwood Annual Benefit Rummage Sale and Green Resource Fair: This annual rummage sale promotes reuse and recycling, and offers a great collection of resources for people looking to learn more about green living. The event raises money for the Green Team. Volunteers work to promote the event, collect donations, setup the sale and donate unsold items. Sale is scheduled for late spring, coinciding with the school plant sale.
4. DNR School Forest: In partnership with the Minnesota DNR, the Cedar Lake Park Association, Minneapolis Park and Rec Board and the Mpls School Board, Kenwood School established a DNR School Forest in 2019. The Green Team supports Kenwood teachers in utilizing the forest. Volunteers lead hikes with students and help with the Oriole Feeding installation in the spring (usually May).
5. Cafeteria waste reduction: The Green Team works to reduce packaging and food waste in the cafeteria.
6. World Soles: athletic shoe recycling (ongoing fund raiser with bins for shoes located at the Kenwood Rec Center).
7. Plant Sale: Kenwood holds an annual plant sale coordinated by 5th grade teacher Mr. Lee and the Green Team. Volunteers promote the sale, setup and process plant orders, pack orders and manage the onsite plant sale. Sale is scheduled for mid-May.
8. Tree Stewardship: In partnership with the City of Minneapolis Forestry Department, Green Team works to ensure the health of the playground trees and plan for tree succession/replacement as needed.